Kalamazoo Valley Honors Program
Honors Program students spend a considerable number of hours each week preparing their assignments. The workload is equivalent to what is expected at selective liberal arts colleges.
- Honors ENG 160
- Honors HUM 120
- Honors ENG 111
- Honors PSY 270
- Honors SOC 202
- Either MATH 216 or MATH 220
- Fifteen hours of community service each semester
- Weekly summaries of articles selected from The Economist magazine
* Lead honors student
- Learning with highly motivated peers
- Small classes with 20 or fewer students
- Preparation to transfer to challenging universities
- Mentoring and assistance with course selection
- Letters of recommendation upon graduation
- Improved scholarship prospects at transfer institutions
- Reimbursement of tuition and course fees at the in-district rate
Submit a standard Kalamazoo Valley Admission Application form to the Admissions, Registration, and Records Office, room 9140, Texas Township Campus.
Composition Ability (Choose One)
- A score of 95 or higher on the COMPASS Writing Placement test.
- A score of 4 or higher on the Advanced Placement Language and Composition examination.This test is taken in high school upon completion of the corresponding AP class.
- A score of 5 or higher on the International Baccalaureate English HL I examination.This test is taken in high school upon completion of the corresponding IB class.
- A score of 9 or higher on the ACT Writing Test (essay subscore).This test is taken in high school.
General Academic Ability (Choose One)
- A high school GPA of 3.5 or higher in college preparatory subjects. Evidence must be presented that high school grades were assigned by five or more teachers. In addition, a written explanation must be submitted for any grade below a 3.0.
- A score of 27 or higher on the ACT examination.
- A college GPA of 3.5 or higher for 20 or more credits earned in college transfer courses.Applicants who have earned more than 30 college credits may be deemed ineligible because the program takes four semesters to complete.
Prepare and forward a résumé of your accomplishments, along with your official transcripts and/or ACT scores, and evidence of your composition ability. E-mailed or faxed documents will not substitute for hard copy. Do not include any additional information in your application packet such as letters of recommendation, writing samples, or pictures of yourself. Please mail your application materials to the director at the following address:
Honors Program Director
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
PO Box 4070
Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
Finalists will be required to sit for an interview with the director. Interview questions will be e-mailed to candidates whose names are put forward. Successful applicants will be notified by e-mail approximately one week after their interview. The Honors Program scholarship pays full in-district tuition and course fees for up to 70 credit hours for students who maintain program standards. Scholarship funds are disbursed at the end of each semester to all students who have met weekly writing, community service, and grade point average program standards.
You may also visit the Honors Program office in the faculty office complex at the Texas Township Campus in room 7363.
Please make an appointment prior to your visit by calling (269) 488-4335.