to the President
All Board authority delegated to staff is delegated through the President so that all authority and accountability of staff as far as the Board is concerned is considered to be the authority and accountability of the President.
- The Board will direct the President to achieve certain results through the establishment of Ends policies. The Board will limit the latitude the President may exercise in practices, methods, conduct and other "means" through establishment of Executive Limitations policies.
- As long as the President uses any reasonable interpretation of the Board's Ends and Executive Limitations policies, the President is authorized to establish all further policies, make all decisions, take all actions, establish all practices and develop all activities. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Select and employ personnel of the Institution, provided, however, that all administrators and faculty of the Institution shall be recommended by the President and accepted by the Board.
- Pay claims and demands against the Institution in accordance with the dollar limitations set forth in the Executive Limitations policies.
- Purchase, lease, or otherwise acquire personal property for the Institution in accordance with the dollar limitations set forth in the Executive Limitations policies.
- Invest Institution funds in accordance with the investment policy to be provided pursuant to BP 305.
- Subject to terms and conditions established by the Board of Trustees, accept contributions, capital grants, gifts, donations, services, or other financial assistance from any public or private entity.
- The Board may change its Ends and Executive Limitations policies thereby shifting the boundary between Board and President domains. By so doing, the Board changes the latitude choice given to the President. However, as long as a policy is in effect, the Board will respect and support the President's decisions that conform to that policy.
- Only decisions of the Board acting as a body are binding upon the President.
Decisions or instructions of individual
Board members, officers, or committees are not binding on the President
except in rare instances when the Board has specifically authorized such
exercise of authority.
- If Board members or committees request information or assistance without Board authorization, the President can refuse such requests that require, in the Presidents judgment, a material amount of staff time or funds or is disruptive.
- The President shall apply to the Board for a waiver of a Board Policy if the President deems a waiver is in the best interest of the Institution.
Date Adopted: June 8, 1999Previous Policy Next Policy