Policies and Procedures
Administrative Network Access Rights
All new employees are granted network access and an email account. Their accounts are automatically created when the new employee is added to the administrative system by Human Resources. The automated process creates the accounts using the employee's legal name listed on their W4 Employee form. The employee's supervisor may request additional network access from the director of network services. The IT staff confirms the information from Human Resources and verifies that a VIP portal account has been created. The IT staff contacts the supervisor when the employee's network access has been created. An orientation by IT staff is provided to the new employee about security issues and password protection.
The Kalamazoo Valley Community College e-mail system is configured to automatically delete all opened and unopened e-mail after 150 days.
Hardware Acquisition is handled through the centralized Purchasing Department for all areas of the institution. All hardware purchases are submitted to purchasing staff and are reviewed by IT managers for final approval prior to issuing a purchase order.
Network Storage Limit
KVCC makes available network storage space for the college community. This disk storage, part of our backup procedure, is provided to students, faculty and staff to save important curriculum and work-related documents. KVCC cannot provide an infinite amount of disk storage space; therefore, each individual is limited to 5 Gbytes. Files and folders in a user’s network home folder (“O” drive) in excess of that limit will be subject to deletion.
Procedures for Removing Inactive Google E-mail and Active Directory Accounts
- The following procedure will be performed each year in late January
- Generate a list of Banner usernames that meet the following criteria:
- Student with no registration record for any term within the last two years.
- Instructor that has not taught within the last two years.
- Student admitted more than 730 days ago.
- Employee or student without a name change in the last 60 days.
- Not a current employee.
Requesting a Banner Customized Report
To request the creation of a Banner customized report, e-mail the director of administrative computing the following information:
- Desired information on the report (example, all current students enrolled for the semester, categorized by gender, ethnicity). Include any special needs such as preferred sort order of the report.
- Time line - date the report is needed.
- If an existing report is to be modified, please provide the report name located in the upper left corner of the report (example, ByDean.sqr) along with the requested modifications.
To request the printing of an existing Banner report, e-mail the director of administrative computing and the database analyst/help desk specialist, the following information:
- Name of the Banner report to be printed. The report names are located in the upper left corner of the report (example, ByDean.sqr).
Specify if the report is to be printed and picked up in the Computer Center or if the report should be sent via e-mail.
Requesting Banner Administrative Access for an Employee
When a new employee needs to be issued Banner administrative access, the appropriate supervisor shall request a Banner administrative account and password by e-mailing the following information to the director of administrative computing:
- Employee's legal name (example, William as opposed to Bill) listed on their W4 Employee form. The Banner User ID will be the same as the network ID (example, WNELSON for William Nelson).
- Identify the forms in Banner the new employee will need authority to access. When appropriate, the supervisor can request the new employee to have the same authority as an existing employee within the same department.
The director of administrative computing will e-mail the supervisor when the employee's Banner administrative account has been created. The supervisor and new employee will be provided the Banner username and initial password information along with instructions for the initial login.
Software Acquisition is handled through the centralized Purchasing Department for all areas of the institution. All software purchases are submitted to purchasing staff and are reviewed by IT managers for final approval prior to issuing a purchase order.