CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS - RN Completion Program
COLLEGE/HIGH SCHOOL (1 Course)
Official college transcripts and/or high school transcripts must be sent to the KVCC Record’s Office if you are planning to use either of these documents to meet program prerequisites or general education requirements. You will meet our high school or college prerequisite course work requirement(s) if you have completed the course with a grade of C (2.0) or better. If you have not, you can still meet our prerequisites by successfully completing the appropriate KVCC courses with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
- One year of high school chemistry or any college chemistry course such as CHM 099 (Basic Chemistry) or CHM 100 (Fundamentals of Chemistry – 4 credits**).
COLLEGE ONLY (5 Courses)
Official college transcripts must be sent to the KVCC Record’s Office if you are planning to use transfer credit(s) to meet program prerequisites or general education requirements. The following course work must be completed with a 2.0 or better prior to beginning the first semester nursing program.
- HCR 120 (Applied Microbiology – 2 credits*) or BIO 130 (Microbiology – 4 credits**).
- ENG 110 (College Writing I – 3 credits**) or ENG 160 (College Writing III – 4 credits**).
- BIO 210 (Human Physiology – 4 credits**) We recommend if our science knowledge is outdated you enroll in the KVCC science course prerequisite for either grade or audit.
- NURS 180 (Nursing Pharmacology - 3 credits*) or equivalent.
- Completions of NURS 190 (Nursing Transition - 1 credit*). This course is to be completed the semester before beginning second level nursing course work. You can obtain additional information from the Nursing Office, Room 7426.
In addition, the following are necessary before starting the first semester of the nursing program.
- Valid Michigan Practical Nursing License.
- Current CPR – validation in Basic Life Support for the Health Care Provider (BLS-C) or Basic Life Support for the Professional Rescuer. You are required to submit documentation of current CPR certification after you have been accepted to the nursing program.
- Hepatitis B immunity must be demonstrated by either a lab report documenting an immune titer value or documentation of the completed series of immunizations.
- MATH 100 (Health Careers Math – 1 credit).
- Read and complete the activities in the book Student Nurse Handbook, Difficult Concepts Made Easy. The book is available through KVCC’s bookstore, located in the reference section or by special order (ISBN# 0-13-041712-2).
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
The following general education course work is required for an AAS degree with a major in nursing. These courses are not required before beginning the nursing program. They can be taken before or during the program.
- English (ENG) 111** or 112** (3 credit course) or Interpersonal Communication COM 113** (3 credit course).
- 3-credits of Political Science (PSI 100**, 101**, or 102**).
- Students must complete 3-credit hours from either; Psychology (PSY**) or Sociology (SOC**) (SOC 105, Introduction to Gerontology is highly recommended).
- Wellness and Physical Education (WPE**), any 2 credits.
* = These courses are not designated to transfer to senior colleges and universities
** = These courses are designated to transfer to senior colleges and universities