50th Anniversary
Apprenticeship Student

Apprenticeship Student


Financial Aid - If you are pursuing a degree or certificate and plan to apply for financial aid it is important that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov as soon as possible to start the financial aid process for the appropriate award year. Kalamazoo Valley’s federal school code is 006949. Financial aid options include grants, scholarships, work opportunities and loans for qualified students.

Assessment - Course prerequisites are enforced at Kalamazoo Valley which requires assessment of your placement level prior to registering for classes. There are three ways you can satisfy this requirement:
  • SAT/ACT scores - Kalamazoo Valley accepts ACT scores and the new SAT scores from tests taken March 2016 or after. Submit your scores to the Student Success Center.
  • Placement Test - complete the free placement test given on a walk-in basis in our Testing Centers.
  • College Courses - complete a college level English and/or math class at another institution with a grade of 2.0/C or better, or have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher as identified on the Kalamazoo Valley application.

  • Consultation - Complete the Apprenticeship Information sheet and Release form available through your employer. It is recommended you begin several weeks prior to the opening of the registration period to allow for processing time. Registration begins in March for summer, in April for fall, and October for winter and continues through the start of classes.

    After these forms are submitted, the Prior Learning & Apprenticeship Coordinator will place you in the correct specialty program, send an Apprentice Letter of Authorization form to your sponsoring company, and guide you through the entire process. For more information about the Apprenticeship program, call 269-488-4873.

    Registration – Once all completed apprenticeship forms are received and courses have been identified, your registration will be processed by the Apprenticeship office.

    Payment – Tuition bills are available online in My Valley. If an Apprentice Letter of Authorization form has been received, classes will be held while sponsoring companies are billed. If you have applied for financial aid or a third-party is paying, check your account to make sure your payment is in place and pay any remaining balance by the deadline. Pay for your classes online, on campus, or by mail during deferred payment periods. Payment plan options are available.

    Purchase Books and Supplies – If your sponsoring company will be paying for books and/or supplies, a book voucher will be available at least one week prior to the start of the semester in the KVCC Bookstore.

    Student ID - Stop by the Student Service Center when the semester begins to pick up a Student ID card needed to use many services. At the Arcadia Commons Campus, it is required for parking validation and door access.

    Download PDF Version

    Have questions or need help?