Kalamazoo Valley Community College offers you an affordable education, in part through numerous financial assistance options. When you file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and request the results to be sent to KVCC, the Financial Aid Office will valuate your eligibility for available financial aid. Eligibility is determined on the basis of the FAFSA and the availability of funds. To apply, follow the steps listed below.
- Your application for financial aid will only be processed once you have been admitted to KVCC, but don't wait to be admitted before submitting the FAFSA. It is best to apply for admission and financial aid at about the same time. That will speed the process in both cases.
- A PIN is a 4-digit number that is used in combination with your Social Security Number, name, and date of birth to identify you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites, such as FAFSA on the Web.
- The security of your PIN is important because it can be used to:
- Electronically sign federal student aid documents
- Access your personal records, and
- Make binding legal obligations.
- Your PIN can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your federal student aid records online.
- In order to be considered for federal and state funded student aid (grants, work-study awards, and loans) you must establish eligibility through the FAFSA. The FAFSA application is available on-line at www.fafsa.gov.
- If you plan on attending KVCC you must request FAFSA information be sent to KVCC by using KVCC’s school code: 006949
- To check the status of a submitted FAFSA you will need your Federal PIN number then you can return to www.fafsa.gov
- Allow 1 week after submission - if you used a PIN to sign your application.
- Allow 2-3 weeks after submission - if you printed, signed and mailed a signature page.
If you did not code KVCC, you can go back to www.fafsa.gov and add KVCC school code (006949)
You must have a high school diploma or GED and have the ability to benefit from the education offered.
- You cannot be currently enrolled in a K-12 school system or be home schooled and enrolled in a postsecondary institution concurrently, and receive financial aid assistance.
- You cannot receive financial aid at more than one college or university during the same enrollment period.
- If you are not pursuing a certificate or associate degree program, your federal financial aid will not be disbursed to your account. (Certificate of Achievement and Unclassified Programs are not considered eligible programs for financial aid.)
- You must notify the Financial Aid Office if you become incarcerated during the 2013/2014 program year.
Don't be concerned! You haven't done anything wrong. The federal government randomly selects students for the verification process. If you receive a Verification Worksheet, you will simply need to complete, sign and return the worksheet to the KVCC Financial Aid Office. Include any requested documents. If additional information is needed, you will be contacted.
If a major change occurs in your family's financial situation, contact the KVCC Financial Aid Office to review your special circumstances.