Kalamazoo Valley Community College

Verification of Residency
Verification of Residency

Students are required by law to verify residency prior to registration. Your tuition rate is based on your residence classification.

Verification Methods:
Admission to KVCC
Residence information provided on the application is verified for every student at the time of admission.

Address Changes
Students must notify KVCC in writing when they move by completing a Personal Information Update Form.  Proof of your new address must accompany the address change.   

Approved Documentation
To verify residency, you will be required to show a valid driver's license, voter registration card, or State of Michigan ID carrying the address to be used for registration and college records.

Establishing residence for a semester:
Residence status will be established on the last business day before a semester begins. Once you have registered and the semester starts, no change in your residency or tuition rate can be made until subsequent semesters.

No one gains or loses residence by reason of being employed in the service of the United States or of this State while a student at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.  No member of the Armed Forces of the United States will be considered a resident of this State as a consequence of being stationed in any military or naval base within the State.

Residency classifications:
State of Michigan Resident
You must legally reside in Michigan for a period of 6 consecutive months to qualify for the In-District or Out-of-District tuition rates.  In-district registration also requires documentable residency of a minimum of 30 days in one of the following public school districts: Climax-Scotts, Comstock, Galesburg-Augusta, Gull Lake, Kalamazoo, Mattawan, Parchment, Portage, Schoolcraft or Vicksburg.

Out-of-State or International Status
The Out-of-State status pertains to students who do not meet the requirements for a State of Michigan Resident.  International students are classified as non-residents unless they immigrate and become permanent residents of the state of Michigan.  Kalamazoo Valley Community College may not verify an international student as a resident if they hold a visa classification.

Residency Holds:
If you do not provide approved documentation to verify your residence when you apply to the College or change addresses, a hold will be placed on your record.  Holds are also applied when your mail is returned to KVCC due to an incorrect address.

Residence verification holds will prevent you from registering and paying for classes.  You will also be unable to obtain your grades until the hold is removed upon verification of your current address.