International Students

Welcome International Students

Every year Kalamazoo Valley Community College (KVCC) welcomes numerous international students to its campuses. We are a community college, providing associate degrees and the first 2 years of an undergraduate bachelor's degree as well as a variety of occupational/career programs. Whatever you wish to pursue as your academic program of study or major, you'll find it here. To view our full list of programs, follow this link, Programs of Study.

Top Reasons to choose Kalamazoo Valley:

  • Quality instruction
  • Personal attention from faculty and staff
  • Lower cost
  • Smaller classes
  • Transfer pathways to top U.S. universities
  • Beautiful, safe, and friendly campuses

Becoming An International Student at Kalamazoo Valley

  • Apply for admission to Kalamazoo Valley Community College by filling out the F-1 packet.
  • Receive your admission acceptance letter and I-20 in the mail. Review the letter and read page 3 of your I-20 before signing and dating it.
  • Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee by check or bank draft.
  • Contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to schedule your visa interview.
  • Prepare for and attend your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy.
  • When approved, contact KVCC International Office at to discuss best travel dates.
  • Make your travel plans to arrive approximately 10 days (but no more than 30 days) before the start of your program.
  • Travel with your I-20 and passport in your hand luggage and present your documents at the port of entry to the United States. Your I-20 and passport will be stamped by an immigration official. Your "I-94" arrival record can be accessed online at
  • Congratulations! You are now a student in the U.S. Remember to keep your passport, I-20, and visa in a secure location at all times.
  • Once you have arrived in Kalamazoo, you will attend an International Student Orientation and meet with your International Student Advisor to learn more about your immigration status and to schedule your classes.

Becoming a Concurrent or Guest Student

If you are a F-1 or J-1 student wanting to take classes at Kalamazoo Valley please submit the following documents to the International Student Admissions office.

  • Apply for admission to Kalamazoo Valley Community College by filling out the Concurrent student packet.
  • The college or university that holds your I-20 needs to fill out the bottom section of the Concurrent Agreement. This will need to be filled out each semester that you attend Kalamazoo Valley.

Transferring from Another College

  • Apply for admission to Kalamazoo Valley Community College by filling out the Full-Time F-1 Transfer packet.
  • Student will submit copies of all official college transcripts to Kalamazoo Valley.
  • The applicant’s current school should not transfer the SEVIS record to us until the start date at Kalamazoo Valley has been established.
  • Once the SEVIS record has been transferred to Kalamazoo Valley, we will create a new I-20.
  • When the applicant arrives at Kalamazoo Valley they will check in at the International Student Office where they can sign and receive their new I-20.

International Student Orientation

International Student Orientation is the first step toward your success at Kalamazoo Valley Community College. During this orientation you will meet the international advisors along with faculty and staff who can help you during your time at Kalamazoo Valley. You will also meet with an academic counselor and register for your classes.

Contact Information

Chris Voss
International Student Services Manager
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Kalamazoo, MI, USA
fax: 269.488.4151
Whatsapp: +1(269)720-3663

Mahana Lugo-Montenegro
International Student Support Specialist
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Kalamazoo, MI, USA
fax: 269.488.4151
Whatsapp: +1(269)720-3663