Orientation is required for all new students. At New Student Orientation, you will be introduced to the Kalamazoo Valley campus and services available to you. Counselors will explain programs of study and will demonstrate how to search and register for classes online. You will have the opportunity to select your first semester of classes. Orientation lasts 3½-hours. Be sure to register for a date that best fits your schedule as you must attend the entire orientation. Please call the Student Success Center at 269.488.4040 to register for New Student Orientation at the Texas Township Campus or 269.373.7834 to attend a one-on-one orientation at our downtown campus.
Before You Attend Orientation
ACT or COMPASS test scores are required to be on file prior to attending New Student Orientation and registering for classes. If you did not have your test scores sent directly to us when you originally took the ACT, you can have ACT submit your scores by going to www.actstudent.org (Kalamazoo Valley's ACT code is 2016). Allow 7-10 days for scores to be processed.
If you feel your ACT scores do not reflect your abilities, or you have not taken the ACT, you may take the COMPASS test. The COMPASS test is offered in the Kalamazoo Valley Testing Center, Room 2210 on the Texas Township Campus. Please contact the Testing Center at 269.488.4235 for more information.
Kalamazoo Valley enforces college level placement in most courses. The required minimum levels for entry into these classes are listed in the table below. If you have not met the minimum in one or more ACT/COMPASS score placement requirements (see below), you must see a counselor to develop a success plan and review your options.
|COMPASS Scores||25||53||Pre-Algebra 19|
The Day of Orientation
- Parking is FREE on the Texas Township Campus. If you will be attending a one-on-one orientation at the Arcadia Commons Campus, be advised that parking fees apply.
- Arrive 15-30 minutes early.
- Bring your Kalamazoo Valley acceptance letter which includes your login and password information as well as any financial aid paperwork you may need to discuss.
- Wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes.
- Due to the length of orientation, it is strongly encouraged that children not attend.
- Make an appointment with a counselor if you still have questions about classes or your program of study. Call the Student Success Center at 269.488.4040 to make an appointment or visit www.kvcc.edu/counseling.
- Register for your classes, if you didn't do so at New Student Orientation. Visit www.kvcc.edu and click on "My Valley" to register.
- If you will be receiving financial assistance, check with the Financial Aid Office to ensure that all of the necessary paperwork is completed.
- Pay for your classes. Payment must be submitted prior to classes starting each semester.
- Get your student ID (available 10 days before the semester begins) by visiting the Student Service Center located near the Bookstore.
- Go to class!
If you have any further questions about attending Kalamazoo Valley, please contact the Student Service Center at 269.488.4100.