Orientation is required for all new students. At New Student Orientation, you will be introduced to the Kalamazoo Valley campus and services available to you. Counselors will explain programs of study and will demonstrate how to search and register for classes online. You will have the opportunity to select your first semester of classes. Orientation lasts 3½-hours. Be sure to register for a date that best fits your schedule as you must attend the entire orientation. Please call the Student Success Center at 269.488.4040 to register for New Student Orientation.
Before You Attend Orientation
To ensure your success and correct course placement, you must have test scores on file before registering for classes. Kalamazoo Valley accepts a variety of test scores, including the ACT and SAT. If you did not have your test scores sent directly to Kalamazoo Valley when you originally took the ACT, you can have ACT submit your scores by going to www.actstudent.org (Kalamazoo Valley’s ACT code is 2016.) For the winter 2017 semester, we will also accept new SAT scores from tests taken March 2016 or after. (Kalamazoo Valley’s SAT code is 1378). Students can get their scores by logging in to their account at www.collegeboard.org. Scores can also be submitted to the Student Success Center, Room 9300, on the Texas Township Campus or Room 120 in Anna Whitten Hall on the Arcadia Commons Campus.
If you feel your test scores don’t reflect your abilities, or your have not taken the ACT or SAT, you may take a placement test in our Testing Centers on a walk-in basis. On the Texas Township Campus, visit Room 2210 or call 269.488.4235. If you are at the Arcadia Commons or Bronson Healthy Living Campuses, visit Room 211 in Anna Whitten Hall. Call 269.373.7815 for more information.
Kalamazoo Valley enforces college level placement in most courses. The required minimum levels for entry into these classes are listed in the table below. If you have not met the minimum in one or more score placement requirements, you must see a counselor to develop a success plan and review your options.
|COMPASS Scores||25||53||Pre-Algebra 19|
General Orientation Dates at the Texas Township Campus
|Nov 15th||9:00am to 12:30pm||Nov 30th||1:00pm to 4:30pm|
|Dec 5th||1:00pm to 4:30pm||Dec 15th||1:00pm to 4:30pm|
|Dec 20th||9:00am to 12:30pm||Jan 3rd||1:00pm to 4:30pm|
Nov 7th 9:00am - 12:30pm General Orientation at Anna Whitten Hall
Nov 14th 1:00pm-4:30pm Art and New Media Orientation at the Center for New Media
Nov 15th 4:00pm - 7:00pm Culinary Arts, Dietary Management, and Sustainable Brewing at the Bronson Healthy Living Campus
Dec 8th 2:00pm - 5:00pm Culinary Arts, Dietary Management, and Sustainable Brewing at the Bronson Healthy Living Campus
The Day of Orientation
- Parking is FREE for Orientation. At Texas Township, you can parking in any unreserved parking spot. At Anna Whitten Hall and the Center for New Media, you can park in Ramp 4, located one block north of Anna Whitten Hall at the corner of Eleanor and Rose Streets and we will validate your parking. At the Culinary/Allied Health Building, parking is located just east of the building. It’s the first right after the bridge over the Portage Creek.
- Directions to our campuses can be found here: Driving Directions
- Arrive 15-30 minutes early.
- Bring your Kalamazoo Valley acceptance letter which includes your login and password information as well as any financial aid paperwork you may need to discuss.
- Wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes.
- Due to the length of orientation, it is strongly encouraged that children not attend.
- Make an appointment with a counselor if you still have questions about classes or your program of study. Call the Student Success Center at 269.488.4040 to make an appointment or visit www.kvcc.edu/counseling.
- Register for your classes, if you didn't do so at New Student Orientation. Visit www.kvcc.edu and click on "My Valley" to register.
- If you will be receiving financial assistance, check with the Financial Aid Office to ensure that all of the necessary paperwork is completed.
- Pay for your classes. Payment must be submitted prior to classes starting each semester.
- Get your student ID (available 10 days before the semester begins) by visiting the Student Service Center located near the Bookstore.
- Go to class!
If you have any further questions about attending Kalamazoo Valley, please contact the Student Service Center at 269.488.4100.