The Student Internship Program coordinates on-the-job learning experiences with organizations for students seeking an internship for credit.
Internships are designed to provide students with the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom in a work environment and receive college credit for it. Internships may be paid or unpaid. In some cases, for students currently working in a job related to their program of study, the job may be approved as an internship experience.
- Receive college credit.
- Experience a prospective career path.
- Gain confidence in abilities.
- Develop new skills and refine others.
- Obtain references for future job opportunities.
- Decide if a career path is right for you.
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Support, Certificate
- Automotive Drivability Systems
- Automotive Undercar Systems
- Business Administration
- IT Support Technician
- General Marketing
- Legal Office Assistant, Certificate
- Medical Administrative Assistant, Certificate
- Software Developer, AAS
- Animation & Game Art
- Chemical Technology
- Graphic Design
- Electrical Technology
- Web Design & Development
Information on how employers can post internship opportunities and connect to Kalamazoo Valley Community College students.
- Be enrolled in a certificate at degree program at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
- Demonstrate professionalism in both your behavior and appearance.
- Possess effective communication skills.
- Work with the internship site supervisor to identify Learning Objectives that reflect your degree or certificate program.
- Register for the designated internship credit hours for your certificate or degree program.
- Work a minimum of 48 hours per credit hour at the internship site to earn the required credit hours. For example, a three credit internship course equals 144 hours completed at your internship site.
- Work the scheduled hours agreed upon with the internship site in order to fulfill the internship requirement.
- Perform the tasks assigned by the internship site and follow company/organization policies and protocols.
- Submit a final paper about the experience to the Kalamazoo Valley internship coordinator at the end of semester.
If you have completed at least 75 percent of the coursework in the pursued degree/certificate program and have an average grade point of 2.5 in the program and 2.0 overall, you can begin the internship process.
- Review the internship packet.
- Submit the internship application (from the packet)
- Make an appointment with the internship coordinator at least one semester prior to your desired internship semester. Bring a copy of your resume with you to your appointment. To make an appointment, call 269.488.4040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.