The Kalamazoo Valley counseling office utilizes a developmental approach to engage students in an intentional, collaborative, supportive and meaningful partnership. This multi-dimensional process considers and respects the students’ diverse backgrounds, interests and abilities and facilitates the identification and achievement of educational, career and life goals.
- Clarify personal, educational and career goals by creating an academic plan to support persistence, retention and completion of goals. This involves self-awareness and identifying personal strengths, interests, talents and values
- Understand the association between your selected major and career plans (access information and develop a strategy to make decisions based on knowledge to move forward with your educational and career plans)
- Know how to obtain your transcript and read your degree audit
- Know how and when to contact a counselor (know when and how to collaborate or seek help and when to be independent)
- Interpret ACT/SAT and/or COMPASS test scores for proper course placement
- Understand and communicate curriculum requirements, policies and procedures
- Listen to your concerns and respect your individual choices and values
- Compare and contrast programs of study and program requirements
- Assist with creating an educational plan that aligns with your goals
- Act as support and refer you to appropriate college resources
- Recommend class selections, update program plan through Degree Works
- Provide short-term personal counseling and make recommendations for long-term counseling
- Be accessible via phone, email and appointment
- Assist you through completion of goals, such as graduation and/or transfer process
- Schedule and keep counseling appointments each semester or as needed
- Be prepared for counseling appointments: bring your program plan (if your major is declared), transcripts or transfer information (if available)
- Participate in counseling appointments by sharing issues, concerns, celebrations and challenges
- Follow through on recommendations made during your counseling appointment
- Create and update your educational plan through Degree Works, a Web-based tool on your My Valley account that allows you to monitor your academic progress toward degree completion
- Read your college email and respond as necessary
Steps to Success
Before the Semester Begins: Determine how you will pay for college. Apply for financial aid (if needed). If you've never been to college before, it is required that you attend a New Student Orientation.
First Semester: Meet with a counselor to discuss your semester progress, especially if challenged in a specific class. Know and connect with college resources, such as tutoring and career counseling, as needed. Schedule an appointment mid-way through the semester to prepare for next semester.
Every Semester: Check your Kalamazoo Valley email daily, review the requirements for your program, revisit your educational plan, read announcements and review information on campus events and academic activities, make an appointment with a counselor as needed.
Prior to Final Semester: Meet with a counselor, run a degree audit through Degree Works, register for final semester and petition to graduate.
Meet with a counselor anytime to discuss your semester progress or if you have questions or challenges you wish to discuss.